Ok, lots has happened, but not all building the boat. First I had to change suppliers as my original supplier, well, didn't supply. After 3 agreements on delivery times they didn't meet I said goodbye to them. This cost me about a month and a half delay (finding, getting quotes, etc)
Second I decided to go for an all carbon boat. I put the jigsaw to some glass laminate and was itching for days. Furthermore I found out that carbon isn't all that more expensive. I compared prices by taking a square meter of primary laminate. I sum up the price of foam, outer laminate and inner laminate plus the price of epoxy (same weight as laminate). Surprisingly some quotes I got for corecell and glass were more expensive (around 60 euro/m2) then the carbon and pvc foam I decided on (around 55 eur/m2). I know the whole boat will still be more expensive because of tape and local reinforcements, but not by that much.
Last monday I finally recieved the bulk of the materials, and jumped at them like a junkie.
Anyway, on to the pictures, and let's start with the failures:
This is an attempt to make a daggerboard out of endgrain balsa. A little advice to everyone trying this: don't. The stuff falls apart too easily, and it makes a hell of a mess. I shoved the half finished daggerboard halves in the attic, and am still contemplating if I'll use them. But I think not.
Last monday was a happy day:
The foamycell (comparable to divinycell) and carbon arrived.
So after a few days I got the foam in. The second half will probably only cost a day and a half or so.
Meanwhile I'm vacuum bagging bulkheads TellSell style! The bags used for shrinking pillows are cheap and excellent vacuum bags with a nice zipper. I admit the coat hanger doesn't look too professional. Still looking for a really large one (or I'll make one). Also nice that you can reuse them.
In the rear you can just make out the sticky stuff dispenser I got since yesterday. So far really pleased with it. Makes mixing up a batch a clean job of only a few minutes.
Hoping I can get the inside laminated this weekend.
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten